6.4.11

Plant.

I have been thinking a little (not too, too much since I am trying something new for a change) about what you said in response to my post on grounding Monday. Terri suggested I plant a garden. A literal planting actually seems to make SO much sense to me! Tavolini suggested I think about the Kudzu and even offered to send some to me (I am investigating this Kudzu! I have never even heard of it! Thank you for your suggestion!) And Alyson actually has a tattoo that reminds her to just BE! I really enjoyed all of your feedback. Thank you.

Going back to this Planting and Gardening idea, Terri's comment really effected me. It always seems like the most obvious things can be so easily overlooked when you think the answers must be complex. Even doing yoga, while a physical act, is still somewhat symbolic of something else. Why not do the physical act of planting when you are trying to root? Interestingly enough, I have had two raised flower bed that my husband lovingly built for me to all of my specifications, when he built our house. That was 8 years ago and I have NEVER laid a seed in those beds. . . or even tried to plant growing potted plants. Last weekend though, before we even started our week of grounding yoga postures, I went out and weeded and tilled both boxes. Cleared them out. When I got Terri's comment I began to ask myself why I have never planted before? The answer was a bit surprising and embarrassing for me. I have never planted because I don't think I have the nurturing capabilities to raise little plants. I fear I will forget to water them or disregard them in a frost and I will cause them to suffer and die due to my lack of attention and discipline. Ouch. I do live in a harsh climate. I know that I may put in my very best effort and still end up committing mass murder on the little darlings. If only by allowing it to happen. But this year, I feel lucky. I think I had already subconsciously decided that this year is the year I am going to do it. I just need to take my time, plan it out, ask for help, be patient, wait for the growing season to officially begin (June 1 in my area) and not skip steps. Let the process be the lesson. I really really need to try to follow through on this.

Shirt, shoes, earrings, belt: vintage
Pants: Flarey from H& M
Bracelet: an African Crafts and Goods store I found in Palm Springs

29 comments:

Rose said...

BELT. *swoon* *drool* *ebay stalk*

Daer0n said...

OMG this looks so awesome, YOU look gorgeous~

Rose said...

p.s. Its kind of funny, because when I was reading Terri's blog this morning, I was smitten with her obi belt made of men's ties. Something about the silhouette is just so fresh and sophisticated.

Unknown said...

gorgeous belt and shirt, and i love the big bag with it!


<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Emily said...

I'm sure you've mentioned it before in one of your posts, but where on earth do you live exactly?? those mountains are stunning. and it always seems to be sunny where you are!

Lindsey Turner said...

great outfit! I esp. love the belt! You always look so good in vintage prints!

Lindsey Turner
http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I so wish that I could get my photos to look this good. I think it must be something about the crisp mountain air...and reminds me of my days in western Montana.

A garden is good for anyone. A very sturdy plant to start with is any sort of bean, they are indestructible! And will build your courage. I am less good with flowers. This year it is actually DH doing most of our gardening, but the first year I did it seriously, I had a bumper crop--fresh tomatoes until nearly December. And I found that it made me feel like a child again. It teaches us something about the reality of growth...and things that die ARE a natural part of the life cycle. Thanks for the mention.

Christine said...

Looks so fun and fresh! Nicely done, hoping spring reaches Toronto soon....
http://www.christinevieira.com/blog

noel vallens said...

oooh, you look so crisp and vibrant! love the planting idea (wish I could but gardening in NYC is impossible)...and it's so funny you're going to try growing kudzu! in the south (where i'm from) it's considered the worst weed ever and everyone tries to avoid it at all costs. wikipedia has funny southern sayings about it. i think my favorite is "the vine that ate the south".

Unknown said...

love the crisp white pants with the floral shirt. adding the obi just made this more awesome, I love it!

kim said...

Gardening is one of the most relaxing things for me. Just look up which plants thrive in the conditions you have to work with and go for it, it really isn't that hard. They're built to grow after all :) This year I finally have a place with a courtyard garden but it is entirely in (damp) shade. Still I'm going with plants that love these conditions and am having so much fun already getting everything sorted out. It also makes me more aware of the changing seasons, really pressing my nose on the changes out there.
If at all possible, try having a go at vegetables. It's so rewarding to grow your own vegs.

Ha, I'm sorry for rambling here, I'm very passionate about this stuff :)

Alexandra said...

Glad to see you are posting more often lately, I miss reading up on your style and perspective! Also, the colors in your photographs this week, from the light to the bright showcapped peaks to the pop of blue from your belt are AMAZING! A visual delight :)

Pat and Shawna Katz said...

Kudzu grows like wild fire and cannot be contained! But I kind of like that, because it reminds me of your spirit!

My husband bought me this book called "Life is Short, Wear Your Party Pants!" and so far a lot of it has reminded me of your spiritual growth!

You look amazing as usual!

Ms. Falcon said...

what do i love most about this shots? the beautiful backround with it's romantic snowy mountains? or is it the gorgeous blouse paired with this obi-like belt?

http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

Snappy-Q said...

I think literally planting a garden is a great idea! Just find out what plants do well in your area, and remember that most of them are a lot hardier than you would think. We have a super short growing season here, and unpredictable weather and I still manage to get a decent veggie and flower garden every year. Even if some of your plants die (which happens!) just having some grow and flourish is such a great feeling. Perennials are good because if you can get them to survive one season they will keep coming back every year!
Also, you look lovely in this very spring-like outfit.

jessica january said...

wow @ those mountains! i can't believe you get that view every day!!!

january, x
jessicajanuary.com

Eleanor Blackham said...

What a brilliant picture... you always look so darn beautiful. I love the white jeans on you x

Alexa said...

I think that the idea of planting a garden is a brilliant one. I hope your efforts are fruitful (although I'm very confident they will be!).

Also, I adore your shirt and that belt!

The Bohemienne said...

I *wish* I liked to garden, but, alas, I have never been able to enjoy it.

I love how crisp these photos are--lovely outfit!

http://thebohemienne.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

I can barely concentrate on anything you are saying when you have that gorgeous background screaming at me :)

Rachel said...

DO NOT GROW KUDZU!

It is a non native invasive plant. It will take over. It cannot be killed even with burnings.

(this coming from an Agronomy major at UF who has seen it in action in my camping trips through the south and has had plenty of experience in school)

Sorry to be so abrupt!

Colourful Buttons said...

Great outfit. Love your top and the obi belt!

Cheers,
Kaelyn

those tricks said...

You are absolutely radiant in this outfit. It looks amazing on you.
The pop of the blue belt picking up the flowers on the shirt?! I can barely stand it - so fantastic!

Santina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Santina said...

OMG, I kill nearly every plant I touch...thank god, I have better luck with animals! :)

These photos are breathtaking! I don't think I have ever seen white jeans look so good, and that belt is incredible!

tavolini said...

hahaha, thanks for the shout out and yeah, you should probably listen to Rachel, its an invasive plant. (but, very pretty--I can't hate on it completely) I apologize for offering it in a literal sense.

There is a book, teenage era book, called "Toning the Sweep" by Angela Johnson. Quick read, but its talks about a Southern family moving to the desert, and about growing some kudzu there. That's what I was thinking of.

stephanie [the merry way] said...

absolutely beautiful outfit - love those pants :)

Juanette said...

LOVE love that top and belt, amazing!

diptea said...

Beautiful beautiful! Loving the outfit, the hair. Flared pants suit you. You are one of the few people who make the pants look good. Love how the belt and blouse pull the outfit together so well. All the best with your gardening project! :-)

Love,
Dip-tea
http://diptea-esque-ish.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...