24.1.11

pretend, its real

After thinking for a bit about my last post (post Dexter season 4 finale) I realized how easy it is for your body to feel things that your brain tells you is real, but in some cases really is not. I mean I really felt sad. The emotion is real, but the event or the story is totally made up and pretend. Its so interesting that our perceptions of what is, regardless of its realness, make it real or not real. I know philosophers have WAY more eloquent ways of saying what I just barfed out of my brain, but I think you get it right? Basically, it just made me wonder what other pretend stories I believe in, that effect me, but have no real solid existence outside of my tormented brain.

In other REAL news, I may be taking on a partner of sorts. A reader contacted me last month and told me that she had seen me around town and happened to stumble onto my blog afterward and realized that she recognized me from our chance encounters!  She said she was interested in starting an etsy shop or learning more about thrifting and vintage and stuff like that and asked if I had any advice.  After a nice phone conversation, we met for lunch last Friday and sat for 3 hours talking about all kinds of things!  It was wonderful!  By the end of the lunch we devised a sort of plan: She would come to my house every Friday and I would teach her everything I know about shopping, selling, styling, listing, photographing, and whatever else, and in exchange she will work for me to keep the etsy shop consistently updated and stocked (I will also pay her a per listing rate once we get going). We start this Friday.  Its great timing since I have been working and focusing on this new styling business I am starting (have now had two clients and #3 is this Saturday!) but still wanted to continue the vintage selling. (Oh and in case you were asking, all the white dresses from two posts back, MIGHT be sold nearer to spring and summer. I just have not decided which one I am keeping yet.)

Jacket, boots, clutch: thrifted
Stole: vintage
Skirt, tank: AA

23 comments:

Louise said...

What an exciting endeavor! It's always so wonderful to meet new people and find a friendship/partnership amongst them. I'm loving this journey you're taking us on!

Sheesh, you are gorgeous. I love that outfit-- the furry collar to that amazing mini.

The Bohemienne said...

Sounds like a great partnership! I can't wait to see how many more great ideas you have up your sleeve, and I'd love to hear more about your styling business. Whatever you can reveal without giving up your trade secrets would be so fun to hear. :)

Love the fur!

Michelle Lee said...

im a follower now
such great styles :)

first giveaway: Hard Candy makeup products
at: http://pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com

Michelle Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
archives vintage said...

the feathers look AWESOME! and the stole/jacket combo is ah-may-zing!

so glad everything is coming together for you! :D

Opal Wells said...

Having a blogging partner would be go great. It would give you so much more time to yourself.

I love love love this jacket. No words can do it justice.

jenniwells.blogspot.com

Chloe Tweeny said...

the stole/jacket combo is fab. i love that jacket!

JennaStevie said...

When I got into dexter I watched all the seasons really quickly and felt really heartbroken at the end of the fourth season. It felt so real. I understand!
I am in loooove with that jacket, so amazing with the fur.
xJennaD

Anonymous said...

That's great news about having an Etsy partner of sorts!

This look is beautiful--I really like how the pattern in the jacket is picked up by the hem in the dress.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I have come across books that have made me cry. Sophie's Choice was in that category...I had to put the book down for several days and sort through what I had just read. It had so captured a serious moral dilemma and I needed to sort that out before I could read further.

SWF_Terra said...

Let's get serious... nobody can wear southwest inspired pieces as well as you. You make me want to run out and buy a bunch of turquoise and geometric prints.

All the best in your newest endeavors. It sounds like a very exciting opportunity for you!

dimi said...

That lady is sooo lucky to learn from the expert!!! I wish I lived nearby...! Good luck with your new partnership!! You're gorgeous dear! - chic and simple. I love the soft colours and how you mix them! Have a lovely day!

kiran sawhney said...

You have a great blog. Great style. I am hooked to it, seeing the very first time. Its like love at first site.

Anonymous said...

Christina, you look ridiculously glamorous here. Reminds me of an (insert appropriate by-gone era here) movie star :)

I hope that made sense :/

Unknown said...

So glad I found this blog! Love the thrifted items and the feather extensions! I just got some as well and can't wait to blog about it!

Alex said...

Great photographs of real beauty!!

Anonymous said...

I love your jacket! I've actually found something similar in a thrift shop in Sweden. It's the same pattern but in all nude colors and I adore it.
I'm a true follower to your blog now! :)

Rachel said...

Sometimes the emotions I have from fiction (books, tv, movies) are stronger than the ones I have in real life. The characters become real to me, so I know where you're coming from. Of course, the PMS doesn't help. My fiance wrote a videogame and I played it and he was happy when the poignant ending made me cry, but I didn't tell him it might've been because I was extra hormonal. It made grown men cry, too, so maybe it wasn't just that.

In another, much more shallow subject, I am ridiculously jealous of that coat. Wow, it's gorgeous! And I've been meaning to comment that those feathers in your hair are fabulous, too.

Tayler Worrell said...

I LOVE that coat! Style Interplay

Dusk said...

Wow! I came here upon a fellow bloggers recommendation [Kiran, her comment above]... and I completely understand why she is so taken with you. You are rather splendid!

Your phtographs are superb and I very much adore your sartorial splendour.

jessica said...

ooh good luck on the new endeavour !
also, that coat is far too amazing. i can't even handle how perfect it is.

jessica january said...

that coat and stole are incredible and the combination even more!

january x

www.jessicajanuary.blogspot.com

Jackie (some notes on napkins) said...

omg. that jacket. is well. there are no words! I absolutely love your blog! Thank you so much for commenting on mine! I love Julie! are you inLA?
xx
Jaclyn (somenotesonnapkins.com)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...