10.1.11

Beautiful Freaking Ice

I promised myself that I would ENJOY this winter (for the first time ever) and not complain about the cold. I am not complaining right now. HOWEVER, when I close my eyes and take a deep breath in and find my happy ass place, it is sizzling hot there. . . and there is a hammock and cold beer. . . and I am just wrapped in maybe that sweet Turkish towel I showed you in that last post, my music is playing over the outdoor speakers. I can hear bees and grasshoppers going about their business, smell fresh cut grass.  My back yard is like freaking heaven for me. . . in the summer .  .  . BUT it is amazingly wonderful right now too. Just different. . . . and a bit uncomfortable.

There are supposed to be lessons we should take from winter. Watch the plants and animals draw in and rest, preserve precious resources, cuddle down, nest.  I know that I should see the months that I can't go outside as a time to get my house in order (physically and metaphorically), but it can be tedious and annoying when those pesky memories of warmer times try to interrupt my being present in winter. I just want to be able to walk outside without feeling completely violated! That was not a complaint. I LOVE THE COLD WINTER. ITS SO . . .   BEAUTIFUL. . .  YES. . . BEAUTIFUL.  (big fake toothy grin)

ahem. Sorry. I think I have PMS and everyone else has been really nice and careful with me so I have to pick on winter. Its nothing personal winter. We have just been spending a little too much time together and I think we need some time apart. I'll be laying in the window seat imagining I am with another season for a little bit.

Sweater: vintage thrifted
Pants: AE
Shirt: AA
Hat: BR
Shoes: Danskins from way back. They keep me from slipping on the freaking Ice that is all over the freaking place. ahem. The beautiful freaking ice. And I know I don't have it nearly as bad as MANY MANY people. Oh and just in case you were wondering, I ran AGAIN! and longer still!  I am trying to add about 5 minutes each day! Its exciting and I never ever thought I would ever say that. And I guess its thanks to winter that I am even doing this since if it was warmer, I sure as shit wouldn't be spending my time running indoors on a treadmill to generate heat and energy.  More like laying around being lazy and deliriously happy sipping a cold one and listening to bugs. So, I guess thank you winter. awe shucks.

24 comments:

Ana said...

How do you do it? You look completely amazing even when you're just wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

Congratulations on the milestones you're reaching every day!

minnja said...

you look so great :)

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

Love this!! I'm glad to see that someone is trying to actually enjoy the winter even if they usually don't! I've been trying to have that same attitude myself!!

Rebecca said...

This post made me laugh. It's funny, because I've been fantasizing about Spring/Summer, myself. Wearing sun dresses and sandals, perusing the local farmer's market, walking to get an iced coffee. Mmmmmmmm. Only a couple more months. I can do this.

You look gorgeous, as always!

Kirstin said...

Haha, such a great spin on the usual complaints about winter. I just got back from a year in Australia and I'm really really trying not to complain about the bitter Canadian winter because I was so lucky to have a year in paradise. Still, I wish I had your positive/ironic attitude about it!

amanda said...

all i want is summer. summer is my happy place. summer is everything winter could never be. and now i'm going to run in the snow. in the cold. and dream of the heat. you look lovely :)

mommy Orkid Belle said...

I love that sweater. Yes, you do look really good. :) I hope you are warm by now. :)

Adin B

Sally said...

Simple, but a wonderful look.
I love the stripes paired with the sweatshirt!

The Sound of Lace said...

you look gorgeous. luv that sweater with the striped shirt. and i adore that hat!

♥ thesoundoflace.blogspot.com ♥

Elissa said...

I love this post. I too am absolutely miserable in winter. I need sunshine, warm temperatures, and green green grass. Winter makes me feel suffocated and depressed and anxious.I love that you're trying to enjoy winter. You look fantastic too!

Huge congrats on the running program. I'm training for a half marathon and only started running for the first time ever in June. You can do it! Just don't push yourself too hard - 4-5 runs a week is enough. Your body needs time to rest in between runs in order to avoid injury and shin splints (which are a killer, trust me.)

Anonymous said...

Christina--a suggestion. Hang up a hammock somewhere in your house. Close your eyes...and imagine.

Shea Lennon said...

I commend you for trying to embrace winter. I just can't. I know I should. But I can't. Anyway, I love the mix of stripes and cozy sweater!

Andrea Eames said...

I am not as mature as you. I HATE winter. It makes me feel powerless and irritated and trapped (and cold). So glad to be living in Austin now, where summers are proper summers! I'm always going to be an African girl ... I like hammocks and sunshine and cold beers and the sound of happy summer bugs, just like you. x

SWF_Terra said...

This ensemble is SO wonderful. The hat is the perfect touch with the breton stripes.

Oh and winter can suck it. I've tried being positive and I certainly have restrained myself from complaining about the cold (which I seemed to do incessantly last year) but COME ON! I miss being outside for extended periods of time without discomfort!

Snappy-Q said...

Oh, I love this outfit so much! So cool.
And you are so frickin' hilarious! I totally feel that way about winter some days (mostly on the really cold ones!), but you just word it so well. I do love winter, but sometimes I just want a break!

Faith said...

I always look at winter as helping me appreciate the warm weather more; if it was warm all the time I would take it for granted. I don't mind winter actually, it's just more difficult to wear dresses because I get so cold sooo easily. I wore one today; I was regretting my decision as the wind blew into my face and I was holding the skirt of my dress down for decency's sake. I think of all the bloggers I follow, you definitely have the best landscape for which to take pictures; it looks beautiful every season of the year!

Carolyn said...

You look gorgeous, even if you are feeling the cold! I love this top and with the stripes going on underneath. Lovely!
Just saying, we are totally experiencing the hot weather you crave right now in Australia, but I think you have a wonderful attitude. Just think of it as part of the whole natural cycle. The rhythm of life. Enjoy a mulled wine.

Anonymous said...

I love your outfit. These photos are stunning! xx

Kimberellie said...

I don't know how you stay so incredibly cute all the time and are without fail so awesomely dressed.

But I do know that I hate winter too. So I feel for you. Here we get rain rain rain all winter. Seriously, it's about 6 months of rain, 80% of the time... It is terrible. I think I would rather live somewhere freezing and at least have some sunshine. But I don't know. I really hate being cold, too. Stupid Winter.

heart: me

Unknown said...

Love the Hat!!

Shoe said...

You look great and your hair is really cool! I feel you on the ice though...

:)

Shoe
thingsididmyself.blogspot.com

iris said...

Oh that hat! It reminds me of my grandpa. :)))
You r amazing in the most simple way!
:)

In the Weeds and the Whimsy said...

Deary, happy 2011.

I recently moved to San Diego.

It's January and warm and my gift to me for the new year and forever.

Cold is gorgeous, you're right. She's like that unbelievably gorgeous friend you have that you like, but secretly you think is a bitch.

Apologies Winter

Anonymous said...

I like this outfit! So cute and effortless yet insanely comfortable! Must be the stripes that reeled me in!

-Sydney

tightropetotheson.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...