29.7.10

Eclectic times


My mom makes jewelry.  She has been making it for years.  We had a business together for a little while called Cattina (her name is Cathi, my name is Christina) and we would make things together and sell them by having parties in people's homes. I made things from chunks of turquoise and strands of silver, glass beads in earth tones, real rustic stuff, and she made more whimsical things, along with the natural stones, glass and eclectic beads.  I don't know why I stopped.  I think it had to do with me beginning to think of every piece as potential money instead of something I was just making because I enjoyed it.  My mom never lost sight of the joy of it though and she just continued making more and more things.  The bracelet I am wearing is from her.  It's really really great stuff  and she never asks for very much, just that the people who wear her things love them.  I eventually pushed her to start her own etsy store so that she could reach a wider audience since all of her friends (and their friends) have been showered with her things. Check it out if you are interested.

My outfit is a little eclectic today.  I know right?  A scarf in the summer, but its so light weight and sheer that it just works.  The weather has been a little weird this week anyway.

Shirt: gift from a dear friend
Skirt: AA
Boots: gift from an ex girlfriend (Its like I have to balance the karma of these two friends lately wearing gifts from both at the same time.  Its totally subconscious I assure you)
hat, scarf, purse: thrifted
Bracelet: ArtnStone

23 comments:

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

Hehe, I love the battered boots

Swalvs said...

So you're talented as a family, it's not just you ha? Since you're not working full-time, maybe you start it again, I did it for sometime, but it was a part of my job back then, but I know it's very relaxing. Anyways, I remember those boots and the little story you told about your friend coming and going(I may have an elephant's memory). I liked the whole combination, you more look like a country girl, which totally works on you...

heather said...

it's so amazing to have unique pieces like that. and every time you look down it will remind you of your mom. love.

becauseicantgonaked

just my style said...

Your mothers jewelry is fantastic. I really love the turquoise pieces. The weather here has been downright terrible..If I weren't so stubborn that it is summer I could totally wear my entire fall wardrobe. You look amazing as usual.

romy said...

I'm new to your blog. OMG ! I love how you put things together. I have shopped thrift stores for over 20 years. I am retired so I have lots of time to enjoy my hobby with fashion. Watched your video on how you cut your own hair, I tried it on me and it turned out great. Such talent you have. I have yet to see a bad outfit. Ok I am done rambling.

Hello*Pretty said...

I love a light weight scarf during the summer.. chic & you never know when you'll hit some crazy cold AC. That top is absolutely fabulous!! Love this outfit!
xo- karrie

www.hellopretty.net

Unknown said...

I really love this. I am a scarf nut and this looks sublime :)

Yasmeen said...

Love the boots. It looks icky and hot there though :[

[Hands you some H2O]

Yasmeen

minnja said...

I love your boots, amazing look :)))

http://minnja.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous detailing on that blouse. And the bracelet is even more lovely now that I know its origins!

Bri said...

Very pretty jewelry! Loving the scarf and shirt combo. I know what you mean about losing sight of doing something because you love it! Something a lot of us need to remember!

6roove said...

love your shoes and bag, gorgeous!

X, Watching the waves

Anonymous said...

so pretty! the hat really makes your eyes pop :) xx

ErumQue said...

Your mother's jewelry is amazing! I checked out the Etsy and will definitely be purchasing in the near future! I love turquoise, and handcrafted jewelry. Best of both worlds!!!

Anonymous said...

The shirt and the scarf are wonderful together.

Anonymous said...

You have to approve like three of my comments in a row because I'm just catching up on your post :) Your mom sounds awesome, especially with what she does with 1/4 of the proceeds! Now we know where you get your big heart. The point is though, that I love your outfit (again), the skirt is super sexy and the way you've put together the browns and reds just make this one fabulous ensemble!!

Fia Kilbourn said...

I just read a comment that you left for another blogger and I just wanted to say that you are a really cool person Christina. :) Your comment was really edifying to me.

Carolyn said...

Your outfit is gorgeous, but then I think you look fantastic in everything! Love those worn in boots, and they look perfect with the whole ensemble. The scarf and shirt are so boho and pretty!

Carolyn said...

Oh, I just checked out your mum's jewellery in her shop and it is truly beautiful! What an artistic pair you are!

Lauren said...

I love the color in this outfit! It pops but is still subtle and classy! That hat is also awesome. It reminds me of a female Indiana Jones :)

NARDIVILE said...

I think i may be inlove with this hat lol.
Great blog :)
Rx

Anna said...

I love that blouse! What a great gift! This whole outfit is perfect, I love your sense of style!

christina said...

Hi!
Love the worn in boots. Sharing this post with my Blogger world :)

-Christina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...