10.3.10

copy cat

There is a really good reason for why I do not try to copy other people.  My version is almost always not as nice as the original.  When I attempt it and photograph it, I have hard proof of the reason for why it was not my idea in the first place.   In fashion this "copying" is such a. . . deliberately unused word.  We say "inspiration."  Today I was INSPIRED by Kristen at Leproust Vintage.  She did a double decker skirt outfit yesterday to solve a too short dress problem and it looked brilliant.  I was thrilled and awed by her perfect outfit combination.  Determined to "be Inspired" by her idea, I checked for things I could use to do this on my own.  Don't really have the perfect elements, but thought I could mix floral and stripe patterns as many other fashionable girls have.  Mixing "inspiration" from many different sources, and taking into account that I woke up to SNOW (ya, thats what I get) I thought I would add, of all things, LOADS of black to make it blend.  What I have come up with is sort of randomness. Its fine.  I will wear it to my appointments today, but looking again at Kristen's outfit makes me feel embarrassed! OH WELL.

I do love my headband though.  When I was in NY I was walking toward the subway with Mel and telling her "Oh man, do you ever knit like really thick nubby headbands that I could maybe wear with my hair pulled up and it will look a little like a turban?"  She laughed and said she was knitting three of those RIGHT NOW.  Serendipity.  As soon as they were listed on her Etsy I snatched this one up!

ALSO,  I have to tell you that I am so sorry about the White Sweater from a few days ago.  That sweater was from the Salvation Army and is missing its tags.  I talked about it in this post.  It was a Karmic Reward from the thrift gods.  But seriously, the thrift stores are packed with sweaters right now due to people spring cleaning! Check them out! I will keep my eyes peeled fro anything similar, or like 7 similar ones.

COMMENT OF THE DAY: I love how you are like "DUDE!!"  Thanks everyone so much for all the sweet comments yesterday!  Well everyday really.  :D

Leproust Vintage said...

Dude!!! This completely looks amazing! At first glance, I thought, "oohhhhh, where did she get that dress!" I LOVE the mix prints...it looks like it is one dress.
I think that this is what the whole blogosphere is about...inspiration. While a double decker skirt/dress combo got you thinking about ways to do that in your wardrobe, I constantly think about your incredible layering skills (something that I am not so good at) for inspiration!

33 comments:

sloth said...

You look awesome ! I love that combination :D

Dana said...

I actually REALLY like this outfit and I think it looks great on you!

Karen Beth said...

Yes, I'd like to go ahead and request one of the white sweaters should the thrift gods shine on you in such a way again. :)

msred5@yahoo.com

Jill said...

I think this outfit is great! The stripes/floral combination works well, and the black tempers it all. Nicely done!

Kimberellie said...

You should not feel embarrassed! This outfit is totally perfect, and totally you! Love the stripes/floral combo. I checked the original out, which is also awesome. You've totally done it your way. So, yeah!

I personally love being "inspired" by other people's looks. That is half the reason for all the blogging and obsessing about other people's blogs! Such great ideas!

For example, I am so going to let myself be inspired by your totally awesome headband and because I am incredibly cheap I am going to get my husband to make me one!!

heart:

Kimberellie

tess said...

I like the bright blue with the black

Trishna said...

Copycat or not this outfit is amazing. You look stunning and your hair is absolutely wonderful.

Trishna

http://tashrin.blogspot.com

JoAnna Duncan said...

I love this outfit on you. It may have been "inspired" by someone else but you've injected your own touches and it looks great!

Juliette said...

The pattern on the dress is beautiful! Nicely done.

WhereForArtThouRomeo

alamocitystyle said...

i actually think you look great in this outfit, don't feel embarrassed! i saw this post on leproust too and immediately went to my closet to find out some way to try it, and honestly i think yours may have come out better than mine

anythingreen said...

i totally did this twice this week!

*lemon-chiffon-blog.blogspot.com*

Josi said...

I aboslutely love this outfit, especially the bright blue paired with black. Indeed, I was about to save this in my own, personal "inspiration journal," and then I laughed because this isn't the "original" outfit. I do prefer your color choice, though!

Sal said...

I adore skirt layering! Such a great way to add texture and pattern to an outfit. The stripes and florals look dynamite together.

Sara Lynn said...

I really like this and i might have to keep this in mind for work. I am pretty much broke and my work clothes are my play clothes as well. It is nice to find ways to utilize everything :)

Brittany said...

Ah Mel's creations are always so wonderful! Can't wait to see what she's got up her sleeve for spring! By the way.. completely agreed on the amazing winter selection right now! I've found some great stuff!

shealennon said...

I love how you worked the layering here, and I agree with everyone that you mustn't feel embarrassed! While Leproust Vintage's look is great, yours is equally chic! I love the stripes/floral combo.

http://bonchicbongastronomique.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

I like how you mixed up the print! And snow?! My gosh it's almost eighty degrees here!

Sarah K. said...

I think you look great! love the little peek of stripes. :o)

Lucy Marmalade said...

You did a great job, and made it your own! Love the turban-esque headband.

Jessica said...

I like the look! I think it would be especially cute in summer without all the black, because I really love the florals and stripes together!

Leproust Vintage said...

Dude!!! This completely looks amazing! At first glance, I thought, "oohhhhh, where did she get that dress!" I LOVE the mix prints...it looks like it is one dress.

I think that this is what the whole blogosphere is about...inspiration. While a double decker skirt/dress combo got you thinking about ways to do that in your wardrobe, I constantly think about your incredible layering skills (something that I am not so good at) for inspiration!

Mel said...

I think it's okay to copy...or maybe not copy, just take inspiration from and put your own twist to it :) Love the floral dress and those boots!

closet365 said...

Love the turban headband! I totally need one of those.

I also love this outfit. Even though I'm short, I am totally going to try double skirting it one day soon!

Natalya's Closet said...

I really like this, those shoes are fab! XOXO

Chloe said...

I like your dress

ADJ said...

i love the dress. so so pretty.

www.greeneggsandglam.blogspot.com

Girl from the North Country said...

that's two dresses? get out of here! I thought for sure it was all in one, I love it. I hate findig a print or a cut on a dress I reall like only to find its way too short for work! What a wonderful idea, I've been pairing mine with vintage slips and letting the lace hang loose. All my co workers keep telling me my slip is peaking from under my dress.

ru.kurarin said...

I love the headband on you! It suits your style perfectly.

I must say that you did indeed carry off the layered look with your own flair!

graciela. said...

Don't be embarrassed. You look great! I often find that even if we copy someone else's idea, we still manage to make it look like something we'd wear. We just need that nudge to put two things together we may not have.

I like both of the looks and they each look different. They're unique to their respective fashionista :-)

Varpu said...

I can haz these shoes pls???

Britt Warner said...

I LOVE this dress!

http://www.thereformedtomboy.blogspot.com

Clare said...

I think the layering and pattern mixing looks darling! And I love those shoes SO much.

Melanie said...

You did an excellent job! Ha, I feel the opposite, though. Sometimes I think a more popular blogger copies me, but does it 10x better! :D

xx, Melanie
lightssobright

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...