22.2.10

Why wait?

Today I really wanted to give these cuffed shorts a try, and they looked fine, but I ended up changing into the jean shorts instead.  Something just felt a little bit more, appropriate, distressed, contrasty? about the jean cutoffs with the sport coat.  I think I am pretty excited about my personal transition from boots to sandals as well.  Its a pretty big step for me.  I am not sure what exactly is motivating the shift.  The promise of spring? No, what I really think it is is the fact that I saw Mel wearing a similar pair of open toe sandals last week and thought, 'Well jeeze, if it looks so great on Mel, maybe I can pull it off too.'

You see, I have come to realize my role in the cycle of "trend."  I am sure I am not the only person who knows about this cycle since I am sure I read this somewhere, but basically you have your "trend setters"  the ones who do things first when no one else has even really thought of it.  These people are completely artistic usually, are oblivious of trend and fashion, and probably don't even know that they are starting something or that anyone is paying attention, they just do what they think is cool and fun and it gets noticed and sort of spreads out to the "early adopters." These are people who can recognize a great idea and take it on way before the mainstream catches wind of it.  In my opinion this group of people includes most fashion designers (Few designers are absolutely trend setters) They adopt an idea and transform it into something accessible for the next group of people, "Personal Stylers." I think (this is all sort of flying out of my butt right now) that I belong to this group of people.  These people catch onto things after it has been processed slightly by the fashion machine.  They see many different takes on a similar theme, take the elements they love the most, and apply it to their personal style.  Not all trends are accepted but it doesn't mean they don't give them a try once or twice to see how they fit.  I think My HEART wants to be an early adopter since I find myself buying things at the thrift shops seasons before they hit the scene, and while I know they are cool and special and I love them, I WAIT until I have seen a number of trusted sources give them a spin.  I think after the "personal stylers" there are probably more tiers, but I think most bloggers probably fall into this category.

The open toe sandal over tights or socks thing is an example of this.  As is the rolled shorts thing.  Last spring and summer and bought a whole mess of high waisted pleat shorts to roll, pleated trousers and whatnot and people sort of thought I was crazy.  I have been sitting with this stuff for a while now and finally I feel comfortable wearing these things. OK, Today I changed, But seriously, I am ready.

As a really happy and very exciting side note, I just wanted to give you links to the two sites that actually put my "street style" pictures on!  Thank you so much Kelley Anne for pointing out my photo on Team Peter ! AND  Martini of Beyond Boston Chic just posted my picture today with a little story of the whole encounter!  Both appearances are pretty exciting for me!

COMMENT OF THE DAY:  Thank you for refreshing my memory! I think It was the "Tipping Point". Great book.  

Your description of people involved in trends and trendsetting sounds a bit like one of Malcolm Gladwell's books. I can't remember exactly which one - maybe Tipping Point? Anyway, you look great!
Catherine
http://anhourandahalfeast.tumblr.com/

43 comments:

Victoria said...

I found your blog thru Jen's mention (at A Little Bird Told Me..) and I love it! You are so stylish and your hair is amazing = love it. x

Ashley said...

is that sport coat tweed? I love a structured classic like tweed with distressed cutoffs. classics with an edge.. that's probably one of my favorite styles. great idea!

girlxoxo said...

The coat had me - it's fantastic! I consider myself an early adopter for some things - but fashion, meh - not so much since I'm still trying to figure out what's my personal style.

Girl from the North Country said...

I think I like this look better with the jean cut offs but thena again that could be my creative clinging to what I think is "safe" Ook ok I love both looks!

Ce qui m'inspire said...

I know what you mean about being ahead of a trend but waiting until it catches on to make it part of your daily style. I tend to do that. Love the jacket! It's so classic and such a versatile colour.

Ce qui m'inspire

Fabulocity in Amish Country said...

I love both of the outfits... but I think I like the first shorts better! :) You look fabulous either way though!

Annebeth said...

You look amazing as ever, love the tweed (?) blazer! and both pairs of shorts look great with it :) I am okey with tights in sandals, but even though I adore the socks in sandals look on a lot of people, I just don't see myself wearing it. Yet!

crowdedcloset said...

love the color that the blue shorts add to the look! Good choice. xo, Kim www.crowded-closet.com

Erin said...

i don't know where i fall... maybe somewhere between the last two categories. i'll see trends at least a year before anyone mentions them, but am too shy to try and pull them off unless i just fall in love.

tywo said...

You pull off shorts so well. Very stylish!

Catherine said...

Your description of people involved in trends and trendsetting sounds a bit like one of Malcolm Gladwell's books. I can't remember exactly which one - maybe Tipping Point? Anyway, you look great!

Catherine
http://anhourandahalfeast.tumblr.com/

Kim H said...

I was going to say her comments reminded me of the Tipping Point as well. Great book! If you're interested in trends and how they start, catch on it would be a great read for you. I've read all of his books and they're all great. I love today's outfit, it's very kind of safari-menswear. You could wear a garbage bag and probably still look great lol.
www.gathersnm.blogspot.com

Kim H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seval said...

I see light bulbs in front of my eyes! :D Hahah! I got many inspirations from your looks today (your post and and other bloggers' photos of you... I can't wait to dress up tomorrow! And you were really saying that you can only wear boots, one month ago... Now look at you! You are not walking, you are running! And, oh, you are beautiful!

Jen said...

Eeep - how spooky that you mention your sandals with socks style, and the idea of waiting to see a trusted source before you try certain looks. I've given you a little mention on my blog today - my outfit is inspired by your sandals with socks, and I waited 'til I saw a few examples on you before trying it out!

:) xx

Alexandra Hoover said...

Well, I am pretty thankful for the fashion trend cycle because Personal Stylers like you inspire the rest of us to jump on board and try new things!!!

shealennon said...

I've been reading your blog for a little while, and it never fails to inspire me. I've done the shorts + tights look a few times, but this post makes me want to transform even more of my shorts and summery sandals into winter wear. Thanks for sharing your creativity! If you get a chance, check out my blog at http://bonchicbongastronomique.blogspot.com

Senorita Fashionista said...

I totally agree with your take on style and it's influence Christina! I love your shorts and sandles here, I will probably use parts of this look too! Got to love it! xoxo Jolie

Jill said...

cute blazer

rhea said...

I totally agree with your perspective on this. I definitely see trends but wait awhile to dare and go there. The one that I just started to do myself was trouser socks with heels...it actually looks cute but I held off for a while to avoid stares :) And I must mentione that I adore your blog! www.hautelatte.com

rhea said...

I totally agree with your perspective on this. I definitely see trends but wait awhile to dare and go there. The one that I just started to do myself was trouser socks with heels...it actually looks cute but I held off for a while to avoid stares :) And I must mentione that I adore your blog! www.hautelatte.com

Christine said...

I think all of us have those moments where you get ready and you check the mirror and love how it looks, but right before you head out the door you change.

If there weren't snow covering the streets I would take your lead and wear some socks with open toed sandals.

Charles said...

beautiful scarf! i love tights with shorts :D
xx

Leah said...

Both shorts worked so well tih your jacket. Love the looks. xoxo

Meisha Marie said...

I must say that I love your outfits! Your style inspires me on a daily basis! Love it!

I live in a small town and it takes a lot longer than most places for styles to catch on. Its so fun to see things I wore last year that everyone is wearing now.

My sister used to be really into fashion and had a sense of what was going to come into style and what wasn't.

Someday I hope to develope that... Until then I look to you fabulous fashion bloggers!

Thanks!!!

sandyb said...

Hm, interesting post here. I would have pegged you as a mix of all three though. From where I sit (more as a fashion observer than partaker) you strike me as one who set trends simply by the way you style your photos (the dress form; the colors; your writing style; how you look to the right.. which I think is charming, by the way). I think you're setting a trend as a fashion blogger, really. You have a personal way of wearing these trending styles, which makes them unique all on their own. I'm no fashion blogger, but I'd say the best accessory that trumps any trend is confidence - that no-holds bard kind of attitude that comes along with something boldly, no apologies. As much as people are attracted to trends (whether it be in fashion, art or music) I think people are attracted to confidence even more. What do you think?

Brittany said...

You are so ready for spring! Me too, girl! COME ON SUN. COME ON WARM TEMPERATURES. COME ON BEACH DAYS!

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on trends! I'm definitely a personal styler. I take a lot of inspiration from others and pictures.

sharonlei said...

Hi There!! Discovered your blog via Jen @ A Little Bird Told Me... Awesome blog.. and awesome style :) Hope you're doing great!!

xx Love & Aloha

soph (owl vs. dove) said...

Both outfits are fantastic, although I think I prefer the cuffed shorts :)

As for the trends, I think I'm a bit like you. I'd like to be more of an early adopter, but I still wait that extra while... I think it's just working up the courage to actually wear things out. Plus I'm horrible with thrifting so I can never find the things I want, and by the time I find what I want in stores, I'm pretty much over said trend haha.

withloveaudra said...

I really like the jean shorts!! I love the juxtaposition between the distressed and the polished :)

Lucy Marmalade said...

I envy your hat collection. Must start one soon! I just began a fashion blog (finding footing in this giant blogosphere is tough!) and I hope that with a little more experience I'll be able to put together outfits half as interesting, original, and cohesive as yours. I take my non-existent hat off to your wonderful and inspirational style.

Best,
Emma
lucymarmalade.blogspot.com

tess said...

loving the sandals here

tess said...

loving the sandals here

what i would have worn... said...

It is interesting how just changing the shorts makes 2 completely different outfits. I like them both actually. And you just wear hats so well…
Hadn’t heard of the trend cycle before- see your blog is educational as well as stylish!

San said...

the candidate gets 100 points. You are right it's one of the pylons. A classmate couldn't figure it out, hence this question in the blog. Glad you liked the pics.

Cheers.

Chloe said...

i love the blazer paired with those shorts

princesspolitico said...

i have to say i'm a personal styler... i usually hang on to trends that people disregard as passe just because they're "past season". i've never had a problem with keeping a trend that's still cute! ... speaking of cute - that jacket is FABULOUS with your hat :)

xo.
princesspolitico.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

The way that you've just broken down the styling process got me thinking about how my own personal style "rules" have evolved. Like, there were certain colors I would NEVER combine. Or I would never wear socks with a heeled shoe. But yet, I find myself modifying my rules as I see others break them with successful results.

ShoeObsessed said...

I find I'm more of an immitator than a innovator. I wish I could create trends, but I just end up being led by example. I'm trying though

Jessica said...

Ohhh, I love this! You always look so great in hats. Really love your blazer and scarf, too. Cuuute!

barefootandvintage said...

can i borrow this entire outfit?? pleeeeease?? it's my fave. i love it. you look adorable. my besties got me a grey blazer on etsy that is similar! i can't wait to wear it. :)

the white shorts...and that scarf...omg.

(do you like how i bring the drama?)

Jocelyn Garrity said...

I don't even know what my favorite part about this outfit is. It's all around phenomenal!

ummi nasir said...

i love your scarf and that hat...very chic! n i think i want to find that kind of hat too!! love your style..keep it up

xx,
http://umminasir.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...